Saturday, December 13, 2008

From a former peer at Texas A&M...

Leslie and I were one year philosophy professors at Texas A&M in the late 80s. I remember that Leslie wrote a dissertation defending the view that universals exist, on their own, independent of all minds. I remember thinking at the time, who else would take on such a project? The idea that universals are real was hardly a popular idea in the humanities of that era, a period of post-structuralist Katrinas. Leslie did not believe in God. He did believe in Truth. Especially moral truth and meaning. Although he did not see the universe as designed, I believe he did see it as worthy of our wonder. The Leslie I knew always allowed that we might be mistaken in our beliefs. Any of us. He was bold and unapologetic, never dogmatic. So who knows, if Leslie was mistaken, and if Someone awaits us after this life, then maybe Leslie lives on in that someone's love. His memory lives on in ours.

Thanks,
Dan Montaldi

No comments: