Friday, December 12, 2008

From a friend in Iran...

I lived in Houston for 13 years, 1976-1989, and Les and I met in graduate school at Rice. We became good friends. I was always giving Les a hard time about whatever we were studying in philosophy. We were always arguing, sparring. I appreciated Les as an intellectual for his ability to connect philosophy with art and life. I appreciate him as a person for sticking by me through all the tumult of our lives during those years. The last time I saw Les was about ten years ago, when I came to Houston to give a lecture at the local Islamic center. I felt as if we had been away from one another only for a week instead of the years that had gone by. The conversations seemed to pick up right where we had left off. When I decided to move to Iran, Les was very encouraging. With Les I felt that we had a real understanding between us that far transcended whatever differences in our opinions about problems and issues. More important than understanding, though, we were friends; and I will always remember him with affection. My condolences to all his friends and family.
-Hajj Muhammad (Gary) Legenhausen

No comments: