Thursday, December 4, 2008

An old friend...

Since I learned of Leslie's passing last night I have been in a state of shock. At a high school reunion a few years ago, Leslie and I became friends again and had been corresponding re email. He had won a free weekend in Palensque, Mexico from an art showhe attended and wanted me to go with him. We decided not to go before this happened but sheesh.

Leslie, if you can imagine him in 1969 or so, was one of my friends in high school. We shared the same home room because our last names started with M. We both loathed all forms of authority and we did some really nasty childish things together. Like putting steel tacks on the teacher's seat. He never went to detention like I did though. He was always able to deadpan better than I. Leslie's picture in the yearbook has him wearing a big black curly afro to his shoulder blades.

I think Leslie's fantastic sense of humor came from him knowing deep personal pain. We both lost siblings who were about 23 when they died and we were about 13. We didn't know then why our parents were so weird and commiserated with each other. I guess you could say we didn't understand why our parents went nuts. We both felt like they took their losses out on us. But we didn't understand all of this until we were well into our 30's, 40's and 50's. Leslie wasn't even Catholic (I don't think) and he did a good job of guilt tripping himself. He wanted to solve his personal pain and not take it out on other people. That many more in the world were like him.

I can't tell you how many times I have about peed my pants from Leslie making me laugh. He was a master at the art of humor.

It gives me great heart and comfort to read comments from those who knew Leslie as a teacher and scholar. We who grew up with Leslie are feeling our pain too. Maybe more so. I don't know.

He will be sorely missed.
Goddess bless Leslie.
See you on the other side.
EM, Hermitage, PA

No comments: