Thursday, December 4, 2008

An old Texas friend writes from Galveston...

I am still stunned and shocked by the news of Leslie's death. I had known Leslie since about 1982, but didn't see him real often anymore since moving to Galveston. One weekend, when Freebird was in town, he and and Leslie drove to Galveston and came to the Tremont Hotel Lobby, where I played piano Sunday afternoons. After they had been there a short while, Leslie came to the piano and requested a song - "The Way You Look Tonight," by Jerome Kern. I was pleased and surprised to know he wanted to hear a tune from a 1930's Fred (Astaire) and Ginger (Rogers) movie; it happens to be one of my particular favorites. This rather insignificant event occurred probably about 4 or 5 years ago, but everytime I play that number now, it reminds me of Leslie Meranchin, and always will. I loved his offbeat sense of humor and intelligence.
-- Bonnye Karger

No comments: