Monday, December 8, 2008

A student who spoke at the memorial...

My name is Matthew Arenas and I was the last speaker at Dr. Marenchin's memorial service. I was not prepared to speak at his service; his sister Renee asked me to speak as I walked in the door and was introduced to her. There was sooo much more that I could have said about Dr. Marenchin, but unfortunately my mind was consistantly drawing blanks (my nerves and my grief got the better of me).

He was the kind of man who when you were late to class, he would make you feel as if you had been there the whole time and would include you in the conversation ASAP as if you were there early. He was the kind of man who would play devils advocate just to test you to see if you really would stand up to him. He allowed me to become more staunch in my opinions as he would test me regularly. He would discount all arguments that were put fourth in class and than in the same breath say "(insert philosophers name) is fuckin nuts! I really dont believe this shit, but I am trying to get you all to think about it." I should have went with him to Europe, but I was not able to go because of financial issues. He is a man that will be missed and a character that could NEVER be replaced.

I raise a pint of Guiness in your honor, Professor Marenchin.

Regards,
Matt Arenas
"Give me a lever long enough, and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world" XIII

No comments: